Here are the questions for the first essay, due December 7. Answer only one question.
Length: 5 pages, double-spaced, 12-point font.
Use lecture notes, course readings and at least two other scholarly sources in constructing your answer.
List the sources in a bibliography.
Includes footnotes for references.
Answer ONE question in the form of an essay:
- Why did the early Stuarts (James I and Charles 1) have poor relations with their parliaments?
- Who were the Diggers and why have historians found them a significant phenomenon?
- What was restored in 1660 and what political problems remained unresolved?
- Who supported William of Orange’s coup d’état in 1688 and why?
- Why did the Whigs rather than the Tories dominate politics between 1714-1750?
- Who benefitted from Scotland’s Union with England in 1707 and who didn’t?